Thursday, February 05, 2009

Why such the hurry


Catching up…

Some of my friends and I are trying to read through the New Testament this year.  Let’s just say I fell horrible behind, but today I changed that.  Today I was able to speed read and “catch up” to where we should be in our reading.  It felt good to reach the chapter I was suppose to be on, but it was a short lived victory as that small voice said “way such the hurry?” 

It made me pause as the words played through my mind “way such the hurry?”

What beauty and richness did I quickly pass by to only “reach my goal”

Yet again I hear it… “why such the hurry?”

That’s a heavy question.

Recently I had a dear friend point out to me the truth about this wonderful stage of life that I’m in.  A stage that I’m all too quick to pass through, get over, or to reach “the good stuff”.  My friend seemed to be a small echo of God’s voice as he basically said “why such the hurry?”  He’s challenge was to sit in these days, to let these days, and the God of these days, refine my character, my heart, my …. whatever God sees in need to be refined.

So may we get out of the hurry

May we enjoy the weight of each day, each chapter, each moment,

May we realize the refining happening in our lives and instead of rushing ahead, enjoy the moment

2 comments:

Chinchilla Family said...

Great post Matt. I would have to agree! Well said.

Cognitive Dissonance said...

Matt,

I have struggled with this most of my life. I tried so hard to "grow" up at a young age that in some ways I am regressing. It is important to not be lazy and to not just let life happen, but it is equally important to be proactive and motivated.

It is funny how life has so much that needs to be in delicate balance for things to be in harmony. Take the temperature for instance. A degree or two either way can make a huge impact on plants and animals.