Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Swords…


This morning I read the story about how Jesus was seized in the Garden of Gethsemane.  How he somehow knew it was coming, went to the garden to have a heart to heart with God, and then when the seize began how he vigorously fought back. How the men coming to grab him where beaten with in an inch of their life; how they could not even get close to him to touch him due to the fact that he pulled out his “mad bow skills and combined them with his Xmen kick-buttness” and saved the day. 

Not really

It was more like an anticlimactic breakup.  Where the two parties look at each other, knowing what’s coming and just said “let’s get this over with.”

Jesus knew what was coming, he knew what this would lead to, and he still graciously and nonviolently walked into it.

But not those in his company.

He embodied all their dreams, they where interpreting (wrongly, might I add) years of writings into this man thinking he would be a military leader for the “kingdom of God” aka the “kingdom of Israel.”  They had dedicated the last 3 years of their life to this man.

Dreams, hopes, desires… crushed.

So one man grab a sword and started swinging.  In his madness he managed to miss a guy's head but delicately slivered off his ear (skill? No, just bad aim) 

The blood hits the ground.  Time freezes. The tension is thick, the next move will determine between a blood bath or something else.

Jesus speaks into the craziness.


“live by the sword…die by the sword”

 

In essence I hear Jesus saying, “I know what I’m doing, trust me, your ill aimed violence will not accomplish anything, trust me, not your sword”

Today he might say “Trust me not your….

… quick wittedness

… temper

… dominating presence

… skills

… looks

… bank account

… sheer will

        "


I don’t carry a actual sword around with me (anymore), but I do carry other things I trust in, but may I learn to live not by ______ but by Jesus.

“live by the _______ …. Die by the _________”

 

Live by Jesus…. Live by Jesus

1 comment:

joe said...

I have been reading in Luke and I find it fascinating that he tells his disciples to sell their cloak for a sword if they need to.