Wednesday, February 18, 2009

a bus ride, a conversation, priceless

I’m sitting at A&M pizza, about to meet up with the some friends to do some Baby pictures.  But as you probably know by this point Pearl and I have only one car.  We live in Lancaster City, A&M pizza is in Manheim, Pearl’s at work… I’ll let your cognitive skills kick in and realize that I either just did a really long walk or I had a longer bus ride then normal.  I’m lazy, it’s raining/snowing, and my bags (camera/laptop) are not that comfortable… so the bus was my answer.

It was my longest ride yet, about an hour.

But for most of the trip I was the only one on the bus. 

The driver.  Me.  No one else (this could get awkward) 

I was going to read but I couldn’t pass up such a prime opportunity to get to know someone.  His name was John.  He’s from Long Island NY, moved to Lancaster about 20 years ago, started driving the bus only as a temporary job, but here he is now, twenty years later, driving a bus and talking with me.

It was a lot of small talk, how did he get here, how I got here, I’m in Grad school oh’ his daughter is about to graduate and wants to go to grad school, so on and so on.

Nothing huge… until… I went to get off.

As I was reloading all my bags, coats (yes, coat[S] one fleece, one wind breaker) back on and he paused, turned to me, looked me square in the eyes and sincerely said thanks for taking the time to talk and that he really enjoyed it.

I stepped off the bus onto a wet sidewalk, breathed deep the moist crisp air, and as the chill of winter air ran down my lungs and circled around my blood something seemed to click, a little extra life seemed to come alive in me.

Now after a little bit of reflection I’ll call that little snap of extra life a small reminder of being human, of seeing the value in someone else, of seeing the amazing stories worth sharing, of taking the time to (even for a short bus ride) to say with your ears “you’re worth knowing, your life is worth my time to hear about”

This makes me wonder when the last time John had a conversation with a rider.

Makes me wonder when was the last time a lot of us had a conversation with someone else, some one who didn’t have to, but still wanted to.

I deeply believe that we are all created in the image of God, that God has installed value in each human, and that because of that value YOU are worth knowing and loving.

So may we, in our own unique way, figure out how to acknowledge that value, in us and in those around us.

Maybe it’s a hug, may be it’s just a passing smile, may be it’s a free cup of coffee, may it’s…. you guys are creative so I’ll let you figure out what it is for you.

You’re worth knowing, you are valuable!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of one of those Prof. White statements from way back at TFC... "Relationships, Relationships, Relationships." (I think it was prof white... i cant remember, just remember hearing that all the time.)

Anonymous said...

I love and appreciate you so much, YES people are important, remember that little sign that we had in your bedroom "I'm special cause GOD don't make no Junk"
Love you forever
Mom

Anonymous said...

Matt, You blow me away with you randomness, your ability to capture a moment or feeling, and your love for God and humanity. I am glad to know you. Just catching up on your blogs for the month...

Nicole said...

That's awesome... I never would have thought to strike up a conversation on my own like that - I would have just looked at the empty bus as a way to have a little quiet time. It's great that you brightened his day!