Tuesday, October 13, 2009

a trash walk...


The other day I went for a walk around my neighborhood. You know type of walk where you really have no destination or purpose in mind other then simply enjoying the bright leaves and breathing the crisp fall air as deeply as you can. I don't do this enough, it's good for my soul. I've come to the realization that I'm very "plugged in" to technology, the internet, facebook, twitter, etc. and I don't especially like that, so these walks are becoming a high priority for me.

Well, on this walk I noticed a cigarette butt, and then a chips bag, and then a bottle, and then somehow I found myself laying on the sidewalk taking pictures of these random pieces of trash. Yes, you would have passed a grown adult male laying on sidewalk with camera in hand intensely focusing on a piece of trash, and I'm sure some folks driving by wanted to take my picture at this awkward sight.

Well, above is a little collection of what I saw and as I look at it makes me to wonder what if I started picking up instead of just walking by... who knows, it might in a small way to change my block, my city, our world.

So next time you pass an adult male laying on the side walk with a camera in hand intensely focusing on a piece of trash, look to see if he also has a small trash bag with him, if so it might just be me.

till next time...

1 comment:

Jonathan 'Siggy' Sigmon said...

Matt,

Those are great! Hey I was wondering if we could use this photo for my (now) old church, Inner Metro Green. We do a monthly trash pick up (pretty close to where you live too) and it could be a perfect image we could probably utilize. Let me know if we would need to give you royalties or anything like that. Did I mention IMG is broke? Ha. I love your photography. Talk with yah soon.