Tuesday, October 06, 2009

a prodigal & a suitcase...

This is one of those blogs that I’m simply thrilled to post.

A little over 4 years ago Pearl and I moved to Lancaster PA to be on staff with one of the best churches I have ever been exposed to. The church (LCBC) does things with amazing excellence; creating gatherings and environments that those who avoid religion as if it were the swine flu feel welcomed and comfortable, as well as those who grew up in the church and simply feel like there’s nothing new to be experienced. This community of believers reshaped and gave life to my struggling beliefs when I needed it the most. I have an amazing respect and trust for the leadership, which is saying a lot when you’re as cynical towards the church as I have been.

The other day I was asked who has influenced me the most in the past 5 years and with little thought I knew that it was Jason Mitchell, the guy simply gets faith, doubt, struggles, and the nasty journey of figuring out how an ancient faith becomes real today. I simply have some crazy respect and admiration for the man.

Well, last Monday he invited me to spearhead a last minute project for his team. They saw a video online of the prodigal story, loved it, but wanted it retold with one of their students. We collected our thoughts, dreamed a little, reshaped it, and as a team came up with what you see below. It was a blast to work along side his team, Shannon (the amazing 7th grader in the pictures) was a blast to photograph, and knowing that roughly 600 middle schoolers heard about what real love and forgiveness is makes my heart feel a little warm and fuzzy.

Hope you enjoy…

a prodigal & a suitcase from Matt Parks on Vimeo.

5 comments:

philliphorner said...

what is the song in the video the video is great...

Unknown said...

loved this video! great job on the pictures too! saw it in JCrew this past weekend -- just thought you'd like to know that the kid loved it too! i have never seen that age group so attentive!

Shamus said...

This is 'effin AMAZING

m&p said...

Phil the song is "prodigal" by the Micheal Gungor band. Glad you guys enjoyed the video. It seriously so much fun to create.

Seth said...

Great job Matt, I really like the concept. Simple, yet very effective.