Sunday, September 07, 2008

prove it... please


I had someone recently tell me that their organization was about making people’s lives better, enriching the world and helping others find solutions to their problems.

Well, as I listened to this ideological “crap” (as I had determined it to be) filling my head, I had a deep sense of “prove it” in my gut, wondering about how "this is gotta be a front of some kind”, and that “this really can’t be for real”.

But as those thoughts rolled around my mind bumping into and wrestling with the sound waves I was retaining from the presentation I was hearing, God’s small voice spoke clear and true saying

“this is exactly what those far from me hear when you promise about my goodness, grace, peace, acceptance, love, etc.”

This struck deep, this struck real, I have to face it.

So I ask you.

As you shovel out loads of your “ideological crap” about your so called good, gracious, peaceful, accepting, loving god what will you do about the person sitting in the back of the room, legs folded across each other, elbow resting on their highest knee, with their chin buried in their palm wondering if you’re just a front, if you’re really for real or full of s#*$; yet secretly wanting to you prove it. Cause to be honest they would love to believe in something like that, but they can't risk getting hurt again until your life backs it up.

What will you do? What will I do?

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Hearers and Doers right?

Takes both. We need to be idealists, hope and dream for the unattainable and then work like mad to make it a reality.

Prove it. That's what I want every Sunday - something real, some experience, some encounter - not just another service.

Anonymous said...

That sounded like a post I would write! :)