Friday, May 16, 2008

your opinion...please

Our Young Adult ministry is going through a season of evaluation and last night a market analyst came in to lead us through 2 focus groups. Here are some statements I highlighted in my notes while I sat at the observation table, a.k.a the table that you’re told to shut up and just listen at.

Here's some of what I heard:

“I felt isolated because I didn’t know how to plug in, there was not an obvious entry point”

“Environment is EVERYTHING to me and it shows that this is IMPORTANT to you, and I appreciate that, even if you get it wrong at times”

“Form doesn’t matter as much as real encounters with God”

“Our Generations doesn’t want church, they want God, so give me real encounters with God”

“if you want to create a comfortable environment just put your gathering where all our friends naturally hang out”

“I felt no accountability to the church because no one seemed to notice when I wasn’t here?”

“When someone stands up to teach me, they better shoot straight, not beat around the bush, and be real! Cause the one thing I’m looking for the most is an authentic faith, I'm sick of pat answers”

“I want to know where YOU have screwed up, and how God was there!”

“I don’t go to events to meet new people, I go to events with my existing friends, I don’t leave my comfort zone, and I’m considered to be an outgoing person”

“Always have food!”

“What I mean by wanting “deeper teaching” is more historical context”

any insights? feel free to share

1 comment:

Sean McDermott said...

My replies to some comments:

“Our Generations doesn’t want church, they want God, so give me real encounters with God”

I think this comment is true on one level, but off base on another. The truth is that as this 20-something generation leans more to the emerging, post-modern philosophy of living, they don't want established forms of corporate worship/community. But I still think people long to be a part of something, and included with a community. And on some level we need to remind ourselves that 20-somethings NEED the church, just as the church needs THEM. So while, culture may be telling us that big, established "things" are not what we should want, that goes against following Acts 2.


“I want to know where YOU have screwed up, and how God was there!”
I think this is cool!

“Always have food!”
Amen!


“What I mean by wanting “deeper teaching” is more historical context”

Historical context is good, and helps to draw out the whole pictures of what the Scriptures are holding. But historical context is not what God is trying to get us to see, He wants us to read and change. Thats deeper to me, teach me how to "repent" of my old ways and see the truth behind WHY I am doing things that are not in-line with God. If you want "deeper" go to Bible College, there is more than enough "deeper" teaching to go around.