Tuesday, May 13, 2008

an early morning and a great book

I have just done 2 things that have occurred only a few times in my life, first, I was out of the bed before 5am, and second I read an entire book in one sitting.

The reason I was out of bed so early (for those that don’t know mornings are not my strongest part of the day) was because a friend needed a ride to the train station. So an early ride across town accomplished this task.

But once I was alone again I had to ask a hard question, “do I go back to bed?”

The answer was “NO, I’ll fight the sleep monsters away stay up, not giving into the lure of the pillow”, So I went go to Starbucks.

So a hair past 5:30 I sat down in a window sit and started to enjoy my “tall Pick place roast w/ extra cream and sugar.” (I like a little coffee with my sugar and milk)

I was recently loaned a book which I was told I “must read”
The cover dates it to the sixties the copyright claims MCMLXXX (1980)

It’s titled “A Tale of Three Kings: a study of brokenness” by Gene Edwards.

It is written as a story would be told, the pages turn fast, and in a little over an hour one can gleam it’s nuggets of truth.

The if I wrote the cliff notes the book I would say that it is a retelling of the story of David. Focusing on how the struggle for power would play out for Saul and David and then David and Absalom.

The questions I now ponder are:
1 – which of these three kings most represent me?
• Saul – Was chosen by God, was appointed to lead the kingdom, yet he held tighter to this power than to God, and when that power was questioned he went mad to maintain it. He was willing to throw spears at those who he feared, some that struck the body and others the soul.
• Absalom – would declare he knew what was best for the kingdom, and then fight to have it that way. He was willing to destroy those who stood in his way, to even spilt the kingdom. He knew all too well the fighting style of Saul, which he mastered and repeated.
• David – Never claimed to understand the ways of God, he held his position in life loosely, knowing that it was given by God and that it would not be taken away until by God. He learned to never throw Saul’s or Absalom’s spears back, but to only dodge them. He respected the authorities God had placed, no matter how much he agreed or disagreed with them. He would not divide the kingdom of God, even when challenged for the throne.

2 – Do I throw spears?
• Back at those who hurt me?
• To those I disagree with?
• To those I’m jealous of or scared of?

3 – How will/do I view those above me?
• When I agree and believe in them?
• When I think they don’t have a clue what their doing?
• When I think I could do it better?
• When I think they are actually hurting our said goals?

4 – Will I hold my leadership loosely?
• Do I really believe God will keep me where he wants me?
• Am I able to not fight for where I want to be?

5 – Am I willing to wait patiently for God to move me?
• Even if where I’m I hate?
• Even if I think I’m outside of my gift mix?
• Even if I believe I’d be better at something else?


God, please let my heart be after you, not my dreams, fame, or hopes.

God, help me to respect those you’ve placed above and around me, knowing that you make “kings” raise and fall, not me.

God, help me to see the spears coming my way and to dodge them, but then once they pass to leave them on the ground and not send them hurling back.

God, help me to value the processes, too see the joy that comes in it, to know the outcome is worth the wait.

Let the ruminants of Saul and Absalom that live in my heart be put to silence, and your voice amplified.

1 comment:

Procrastination said...

I admit I skimmed this- but kudos for being an early bird, believe it or not, I kind of miss it. I happen to read a whole book in a sitting regularly, but what gets me to keep doing it is the thrill of being done and knowing how it concludes! Welcome to the book thrill!