Saturday, January 19, 2008

respect

We live in a world that wants to scream that your value is based upon what you’re doing or have done. That your job, titles, degrees, fancy letters around your name, a list of accomplishments formerly known as a resume, etc is what defines you.

Well, last night I had the honor of listening to a friend step down. To fight the drive to be known by what he does. To say that integrity to his personal values outweigh the recognition of leadership.

I respect that, I slightly envy that, and it makes me question my responsibilities.

Have I somehow allowed myself to agree to too much?

How would I know I’m doing too much?

Have I defined my personal values to even know when I’m crossing them?

These are questions that I need to face cause leadership only ask for more and I need to be ready to know when enough is enough.

So to my friend, I say thank you; thank you for living your values, thank you for valuing your family, thank you for not allowing yourself to be stolen to the demands and opportunities of life.

To my friend, I respect you and I wish you well

No comments: