Saturday, January 26, 2008

Kiddie snow show…

So today I boldly went where I have feared to go, back to the ski slopes! The last time I skied was January 06 and the events of that day have left me rather skittish of the slopes (you can read the blog). But today those fears where overcome, not gracefully but that’s not the point.

This morning as 60+ young adult filed out of rental vans and up to ticket counters and lift lines, I stood at a rental desk. As the line slowly moved me closer, I could over hear the request for the “long skis”. For those of you who are not familiar with skiing, the longer the ski the faster you, and you usually get something close to your height, but not I, for my skies where about as high as my hip, about the height of a 6 year old.

So today as I unashamedly wore my “kiddie skies” and skied on the “kiddie slope.” My pride did not grow but my confidence as a skier did, although the green “beginner” slope I eventually slid down stretched my nerve and took half a day to conquer.

I may still be wearing “short skies” but at least I was having more fun than horror.

On a side note the retreat is going wonderfully. It has been so good to connect with other people, to laugh together, play together and to simply be together. Pearl and I are sharing a room with two really dear friends, the Smokers, which has been more fun than this short blog can express.
Where we are skiing
What I'm not doing
look for the trails with the green circles, those are the one's I like!
(AKA those are the "you still suck" trails)

No comments: