Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Justice in 08

Psalm 10:18
You will bring justice to the orphans and the oppressed so mere people can no longer terrify them.

Did you know that somewhere around 1,000,000 women and children are forced into prostitution or sex trade every year, did you know that there are more slaves today then all the slaves to ever be on US soil, combined, currently there’s believed to be around 27 million.

27 million slaves, 27 million moms, dads, sisters, brothers, children, friends, lovers

27 million lives not allowed to live with dignity, honor, respect, worth

27 million lives only to be known as a labor, a profit, a product, a service

I read Psalm 10:18 differently now, it’s now a battle cry, a desperate cry, a person’s exasperated attempt to get the attention of God, to get the justice of God.

This last Fall the young adult team I’m apart of did a series call dis[content], it focused on different areas of injustice around the world. It was a powerful and heavy 7 weeks. But like most uncomfortable things I manage to observe and then move along, not really letting the truth or magnitude sink in. It was like driving by a bad car wreck each week, I looked to see what happened, to gasp at the blood and horror, but then drive on, cause its not my car, its not my family, its not my friends, so it must not be my problem.

Or is it

Will I be apart of the solution?

Will I be discontent with how the world looks?

Will I love others more than my couch? My comfort?

Pearl and I read Psalm 10 the other day, and it reminded me that somewhere the “orphans and oppressed” are not just another number but a face, a person.

What will I do in 08?

May I be more about justice than my comfort.

If you’re interested in more info a great site is http://notforsalecampaign.org/

1 comment:

Kevin Bales said...

Thanks for a great post, and for using our work on modern slavery - the figure of 27 million came from our team. In September we published a new book that explains how we can end slavery in our lifetimes - it is called Ending Slavery: How We Free Today's Slaves. You can see more about it on our website, www.freetheslaves.net.

Warm wishes,
Kevin Bales