Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Advent... pause


The Advent season is upon us. This is a tradition that for thousands of years has rhythmically called the Church to step out of the rush of life and to pause, to reflect, to remember and savor what makes it’s Faith tradition so rich. The liturgical calendar calls upon two season of slowed reflection, Advent and Lent.

Pearl and I have decided to observe Advent this season. You will find at the center of our table a collection of 5 candles and you hopefully will also find us each morning sitting down in front of them, Pearl with her random bowl of cereal and me with my yogurt. We are trying to spend these opening minutes of our day reflecting, reading passages from the Bible, and basically trying to sync our lives, desires, fears, worries, passions, etc to the teachings of Jesus. During Advent there are traditional passages the Church has reflected upon, passages that highlight certain themes leading up to the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

A friend recently gave Pearl and I a book that has collected these passages and then provided a little commentary on how they apply to this season of reflection.

A sentence from today’s reading stuck a cord with me:

“the Greatest thing a human soul ever does in this world is to see something… To see is poetry, prophecy, and religion, all in one… Seeing is a difficult art, as is hearing.”

As I walk through this season, remembering and reflecting on the cornerstone tradition of my Faith, I hope I can see clearly. To not see what I want to see or what I’m prejudice to see, but to see the truth around me, the love around me, the joy and warmth around me. I recently had a professor ask us if we will force what we see to “fit” what we already thought, or if we would allow what we think to be shaped by what we see.

This season… I want to see the holidays a new. To not just see an empty passing of yearly rituals, but to see the beauty and wonder of this amazing time of year. May I continue to pause each morning and allow my thoughts, desires, fears, and worries to bend to the way of love, joy, peace, and hope.

1 comment:

Matthew Bellis said...

I agree. The older I get the more traditional I want to become. Yet in those traditions discover the original meaning, and understand that meaning. I believe our church fore-bearers used these traditions to teach us something about what we might not understand. It also gives something to cling to. When you know not what to do, stick to your traditions.