Sunday, July 27, 2008

I cried yesterday…

In this season of life my thoughts have mainly centered around myself, then Pearl and then a couple on other people, but mainly myself. Selfish I know, but honest.

Questions about our future fill most of my days.
Questions as large as;
Where the heck does God want us and if He asked where would I say I wanted to be?

To as simple as “Where will we find a laptop and second car for life demands in the near future?”

These questions usually lead to a million other questions which lead to more which lead to some really exciting and scary conversations with Pearl.

But yesterday God sent a delightful gift, a nudge out of my own little world and into a glimpse of His beautiful work around us.

It all started almost a year ago as I was working on plans for a series we did in Saturate called “[dis]content”. The series focused on injustice issues that are happening around the world; asking some hard questions about us and our response to what’s happening.

This series started a now great friendship with Deb. She’s a young adult who is passionately and selflessly giving her life to those around her. She sees some of the huge injustices happening in our own back yard and has giving her life to making a difference.

Deb, does this through her leadership and love at Habitat for Humanity.
Shortly after meeting Deb I was plugged into a volunteer work day but more importantly into the vision she was casting.

Our work day came, we painted, and painted and painted some more (I love painting, NOT), but not by ourselves but with a delightful Dominican family. A mom, who was extremely pregnant and her sons, this was to be their home.

We worked, we left, no big deal.

Well yesterday her house was finished, she has now moved in and it was time to dedicate it. We where invited to celebrate with them.

It started with an amazing homemade Mexican meal, which true to Hispanic cultures involvement lots of food and lots of fun conversations. We meet some wonderfully amazing and great people just sitting around eating our rice, beans and other goodies.

The mix matched group of family, volunteers and Habitat employees finally made their way into the house where stories where shared of the work, the sweat, the tears, and the love.

It was an honor to observe this holy moment, this was a moment of grace, a moment of seeing what it means to love others, to see someone who just worked a day standing next to those who had worked months all for the purpose of giving this family a wonderful gift, a house, but more than a house a gift of love.

As I listened to the translator repeating, I cried, it was beautiful, it was holy, it was how I imaged God wants us to live

Deb - thanks for giving your life to something Great, you challenge me to live for more!

No comments: