Monday, July 21, 2008

here's some thoughts about Czech

I wrote this last week sometime, but had not posted it. It's some of my thoughts from Czech.
_______________________________________________________
So I have been neglecting the blog for the last couple of days, well maybe even a couple of weeks now.

In a nutshell Czech was simply amazing. We had a wonderful time connecting with the local church, partnering with them in loving the students of their town and simply having fun together.

Here's my English class and their "American Smiles"

I have come to a place where I have lumped evangelism and discipleship into one really long process. Where if point “Z” is deeply knowing God, we then are all starting at different points through out the alphabet. With some farther along then others, some moving quickly through points and still others moving slower than molasses. Then somewhere between point “E” and “F” our faith moves into what Evangelicals like to call “saving” faith (which often means you can count them as “in” or “one of us”, a little sarcasm, sorry) yet we’re not done with point F we must still keep moving towards “Z”.

So with all that being said it was cool to see each student at camp making their own small steps toward “Z”.

Two students made it public that they had moved from point E to F, which is a huge deal in and of it self, but in Czech this is no small commitment, this step is often seen as a four year process if not more. So it was exciting to celebrate with them but it was equally exciting to see the individual steps being made by everyone, even the American students and myself.

I would say that getting over Czech has been harder then I expected, first because Jet Lag is simply kicking my butt. I’m now in this weird place where I want to sleep till 10 every morning and then around 8:30 I’m ready for bed.

But the main way that Czech is sticking with me is in my view of the culture around me. Some say this is normal, simply a case of “reverse culture shock” (this is where upon entering back into one’s native culture they reject it or condemn it in the comparison of the culture they where visiting).

I hope this is more then simply “reverse culture shock”!

Here's the class again, but with their "Czech smiles"

The thing that has been hitting me the hardest is the glaring examples of American’s (and my) incredible ability to be excessive and waste full.

I want to be less wasteful.

I want to figure out how to be a better steward of the natural resources God
has given us.

I want to stop feeding the cultural systems that push us farther along the waste continuum.

I want to eat normal portions of food (for my own health sake but also to avoid excess waste)

But when will I buy a bus ticket?

When will I actually be willing to part with my wonderful SUV?

When will I actually agree with Pearl and split a meal?

So theirs a couple of my reflections, more to come,

If you made it this far I didn’t mean to come across as bashing of American’s

I love America, I love Starbucks, I love SUV’s, I love big meals, I’m just trying to put things into perspective.

1 comment:

Kevin said...

It didn't come across as bashing, nor condemning. The truth is we Americans consume too much, waste a lot and we have to start seeing the future consequences now and not wait until it is too late.

Just think about the things we buy, when we will stop buying them from companies that have slave-like employees? When will we actually say enough to our dependency on oil? When will we be anti-consumers, from wasteful SUV's to clothes, to meals, to gadgets and the endless list of products and services in our economy?

The bigger question revolving in my head is when will the church begin to lead the way? What should the churches response to these types of problems look like? How do we as the church, show Jesus to the world in response to these crises?