Monday, March 13, 2006

People amaze me, really they do


People amaze me, really. I mean think about us we are really weird, complex beings. I'm sitting at Panera right now, waiting on an order to be completed. I'm sitting so I can see the door, and so the manager can see me, get my food and hit the road. While I'm waiting I'm watching people. There's a girl to my right, probable 25? Maybe a little older, and with her is a younger girl, 12 maybe younger. Are they sisters? Mom and daughter? Friends? Who are they waiting for? Why Panera? Who knows?

There's also a woman to my left, at the table next to me. We are about three feet apart, but I'm not said a word to her. To be honest I've tried to avoid eye contact cause once they made you have to engage in a conversion, if not you just look like you're checking her out and I'm definitely not doing that, trust me, I'm happily married. But anyway back to observing. Why is she sitting here? Who's she waiting for? She's made several calls, who is she talking to? I can see an older couple sitting about 15 feet away. He and I've made I eye contact a couple of times. Do you think He knows I'm writing about him? Ok, now he's staring at me, kinda weird. Is that his wife he's eating with? If so, how long have they been married? Happy?

Here's another couple. They just walked in. They are dressed really sharp, must be coming from church. Here a question, why do we dress so formal for church, He really looks funny removed from all the other "church goers." I wonder if people sit at restaurants on a Sunday and peg the "Church people." I wonder if we stick out like a sore thumb. I'm in a suit and tie, hey look at me, hey I'm a church man, God loves me, I'm perfect. That comment was probably judgmental, sorry.

Back to the second girl, she just met a group of other young ladies. “Order for crying out load.” They’re just standing in the doorway getting caught up on life as 20 people are squeezing their why by them.

Ok, to a deeper thought. People, we are all the same yet incredibly different. We all seem to have similar problems, yet each one is unique for each. Where do people find security? Peace? Comfort? Meaning? Well, the food is done and I'm now off to a High School Leaders Lunch, sorry about rambling and possibly not making much since.

No comments: