Friday, March 14, 2008

New York City Here we come!

I’m so excited!!
I’m sitting on a train, with my amazing wife, enjoying the first leg of my birthday celebration surprise. Pearl went all out this year and planned a birthday celebration that puts all I’ve done to shame. She knows that gifts are one my main love languages (I used to think I was just materialist, but hey the truth is I like gifts, not greed, enough said) and this year she just knocked it out of the park with lavished love.

Here’s what she did.

A little over a month ago she started dropping little hints about how excited she was about what she was planning for my birthday, then one day she hands me a piece of paper. On one side of this paper was part of a picture, on the other a riddle/clue like sentence. Every day she would slip another “clue.” Just a little more of the picture, another riddle to confuse, but all delivered with a huge smile and a little extra bounce in her step.

She knows I love surprises, but part of any good experience is the buildup, she knows this too, and she planned for it. So two weeks ago, while we where in Georgia, she delivered the last few pieces; she had me sit down and figure out the puzzle; taping the pieces of the picture together. One piece at a time, matching the clouds together, making sure building aligned, and piece-by-piece a picture was exposed. It was New York City and I love the city!

As I finished taping the last few edges together she informed me to flip it over. As I turned this mosaic of cut up copy paper over I saw the riddles ordered to sentences telling of a great adventure, the adventure we are on now.

And the best part, I had two whole weeks, to dream about this adventure, to figure out how everything would play out, to let my anticipation build.

Here’s the adventure, as planned, but I’ll keep you informed to what becomes reality.

We pulled out of Lancaster just before lunch today on an Amtrak train heading towards Philly then New York City. We’ll arrive in NYC around 2 this afternoon, make our way to Chinatown for some dinner (incase you didn’t know I absolutely love General Tso’s chicken) then explore through a maze of tunnels and connections to the Astor Theater for one of the best shows one earth, the BLUEMAN show! After a few hours of creativity genius overload, we’ll meander threw the wonderful streets of New York, getting as much Starbucks as our nerves can handle, and finally crash in our hotel. In the morning we’ll awake up to a New York morning, replaying scenes from friends and You’ve got mail, as we continue our meanderings through the streets. We’ll eventually make our way past Central Park and to the Metro Museum of art, or the MET as I’ve heard it call (although I could be totally misspellings that right now and looking like a totally idiot, but critique my ignorance all you want cause by the time you read this I’ll be there and you want ☺!) .

I’m super stocked, my wife is lavishing love, and I’m so blessed to be married to her. To all my family and friends who have pitched in to make this adventure happen thank you so much, I love you to.

Well we just reached Philly, I think we’re nearing the station at 30th street. So I’m going to stop writing and enjoy the beauty of humanity, metal and the marks of man’s past.

Lancaster Amtrak station

All aboard!!

No comments: