Wednesday, March 05, 2008

living alive

I’m back.

Not only to blogging but also to intentionally living the way that I desire to live. Well, at least I hope I’m back.

This past weekend we did a road trip to Georgia. We left Thursday after work, rocked out at one of the coolest 2-year-old’s birthday party, connected with Family, ate enough food to suffice for the next 3 months, and then headed back north. We got in late last night (I started writing this on Tuesday), and are now taking a couple of minutes to ourselves this morning before heading back into work.

Pearl and I were in the car roughly 21+ hours. As weird as it may sound we have grown to look forward to these times. We are usually in the car for a trip like this quarterly and it empowers us to step out of the “rat race” rushing of life and just be; to just be together, to be still, to not be rushing somewhere else. We spend these hours talking, reading, dreaming, reflecting, I guess in these moments we are able to realign our lives together, to let our dreams infuse each other, to be one. We have also grown to realize that these conversations will usually lead to at least one good fight, but we know to expect at least one, so we have it, enjoy it, make up and then move on.

I say all that to say that it was on this trip that I was able to reflect.

Here’s a question, Do you feel like there’s a certain way, or rhythm, of life that brings out the best in you, that almost seems to bring you to “life”?

I know this is true for me, I know that I can live different rhythms, and that some rhythms empower me to live as I desire and others seems to try and force me into being something I’m not.

As we where one the road yesterday we where talking and something came out of my mouth and as I heard it, it really resonated with me, like “yeah that’s it, that’s what I’ve been feeling.” (If you’re not a verbal processer that last sentence made absolutely no sense to you, but if you verbalize to think you totally understand what I’m getting at.)

I said, “I needed to do ______, ______, and _____ to be alive, and if I’m not intentionally doing these things then I’m not really living, I’m just paying a mortgage, getting fat, and dying.”

Now I’m not saying that I’ve got a list of does and don’t that I must fulfill, or something that I tie my spirituality into, or something I must do to be happy. What I’m driving at here is recognizing how God has created me and then intentionally enjoying these things.

God wired each of us the way we are for a reason and through this wiring is how we are meant to enjoy life.

I love working outside, using my hands, braking a sweat, it brings something alive in me, so I need to make time to get outside, find projects, make this a priority over other things.

I love riding my bike; I love just going somewhere, anywhere. Pedaling and seeing where I end up.

I love telling stories, to see people laugh, to put color and expression to the world around us.

I love to inspire and teach people, to paint a picture of what could and should be, to bring the stories of alive.

I love to see people enjoying life.

These are just a few of the things I love; they make me come alive in each of their unique ways. These are the things I find myself repeating stories about, waking up early for, and having an extra pep in my step.

And I need more material to tell good stories about, I need more reasons to wake up then just to go to work, feed the dogs and then do it again, I need a little extra pep in my step.

May we refuse to ignore the things that bring us to life.

May we refuse to let the busyness of life snuff out our expressions of how God has uniquely designed us.

May we do whatever it takes to live our lives alive, enjoying each day, and in doing so show the beauty of God through the beauty of our lives.

May we truly live alive

Ps – here’s how you know someone has enjoyed themselves, at least I know I would have

2 comments:

p said...

aw, i love you so much & i love our car rides together dreaming!

Cognitive Dissonance said...

I love you guys and how real you are.

E