Tuesday, August 21, 2007

reading


Books can be like a nasty car wreck. You want to look so bad but with ever fiber that screaming, “look” theirs an equal fiber begging “no don’t, just drive.” Now, I know that’s a weird way to look at reading, but once we read we are accountable to what we’ve read? What will I do with what I now know? How will I respond? Do I really believe what this person is saying? Do I believe enough to actually change something about my life? As I said reading is like a car wreck. You want to see what’s in the pages, what ideas, what stories, what truths, yet you know that if you look you have to respond. I hope I’d never leave someone hurting on the side of the road, but I fear I do that with what I read, getting some sick fix on the facts, but not letting the facts become real enough to believe.

So may we as readers, be brave enough to look, to read, but may we also be brave enough to respond, to change, to let truth sink in, and not just look and point.

May we not be a reading “rubber-neckers”

PS. here's the book I'm currently reading

1 comment:

chris horton said...

You can read? Dude...Cool!!