Sunday, August 19, 2007

dirty dancing


Ok, I’ve got to confess, Pearl has been watching “Dirty Dancing” and I’m currently fighting to not get sucked in. I don’t know if I could tell the guys at work that’s how I spent my evening. Anyway, enough of the 80’s highlights.



Thoughts:
We are all a statistic in some way or another. Some of us fall in the big numbers, some on the small. Statistics about how we will live, how we believe, how we drive, how we learn, the list can go on and on. Some of our statistics we are proud of, some we are not, some we hope that we will be a part of, and others we’ll pay big money to stay out of. But what happens when those we care for become the statistic we don’t like. When life and choices all of a sudden play out and we’re left asking how. How them? Not them? Someone else? Not my friend? It these moments, these moments of great shame, pain, and disappointment, these are the moments when the Statistics must be forgotten, when what we are or what we’re not must be tossed to the side and the heart pulled to the front.

May I, as a living statistic, remember that you and that person over there, and the one around the corner, are a statistic, someone who has experienced life, its ups and downs, but may I also remember that I and them and you are also a human, a reflection of God’s creation who’s heart is far more important then what they’ve done or not done.

No comments: