Tuesday, December 14, 2010

dark beauty


It was midnight, it was cold, the snow was well over my knees and the wind singing in my ears had started to turn my head into a freezer box. It was not a hopeful sunrise, or a refreshing sunset, it was not the warm energy of midday, no it was night, cold, windy, lonely.

Yet I stood, I waited, I looked past the dark, the discomfort and in the midst of this moment beauty emerged.

The peace of a frozen lake and the warmth of a glowing home, the old hardness of a factory in front of the joyful youth of a ski hill, the white of snow in contrast to the dark of the sky.

Yes in the midst of this cold, windy, lonely night beauty was found.

And such is life.

May we be willing to embrace our nights, to stand just a little longer in the discomforts, and may our eyes look past the gray and dark and into the beauty that slowly comes into focus.

1 comment:

Chinchilla Family said...

Wow. This really speaks volumes. The picture and the words. Thanks for the encouragement. Hope you and Pearl are doing well.