Monday, May 11, 2009

coffee, coonhound, couch...

So this morning I find myself sitting on the couch, legs out stretched and comfortable, a perfectly brewed pot of French pressed coffee inviting my senses to do a little dance, our coonhound curled up next to me in a deep sleep and the sounds of a favorite CD filling the airwaves.

As I enjoy such a blissful moment I find myself reading a letter written by a man named Luke, to other man named Theophilus, about a third man named Jesus (did you catch all that?).

I’ve been rereading the writings about Jesus and his teachings from a renewed set of eyes these past few weeks. This brings old stories into a wonderfully new light.

This morning I read Luke’s account of a section of teaching called “the Beatitudes”

Basically this is a section of teaching where Jesus says you’re blessed if you’re poor, hungry, weeping, excluded, etc. and giving a “woe” if you’re rich, full, laughing, and loved by others. So I’ll be honest, I’ve never really gotten this teaching. I’m sure there’s really smart people who have some really great explanations of these passages, and if I really wanted to impress you I could probably conjure up a couple of ideas of my own. But I’ll save myself the embarrassment and your boredom and pose the question that’s running around in my mind this morning.

Here it is… “Are the Beatitude teachings really about blessings and curses or perspective? “

In essence “when this life is lived in light of God’s kingdom, this life’s the dumps”

Almost a sense of when you know what’s coming, what was originally designed for us to experience, you’d feel like this life is like being hungry all the time, being poor and never needing, or like you’re constantly weeping.

Does that make sense?

But I’ll say again, I don’t know and these are only questions, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

But for now, my legs are a sleep and need to be woke up, the coffee is calling me to the bathroom, the coonhound has found an itch and is scratching/kicking me, and I’m tired of this CD and ready to change it.

I guess a lot of life is perspective driven… and for me, if this life is THIS GOOD, I can’t wait to see how much better it’s going to get!

It’s Half full and about to heap over

1 comment:

Joel and Gwen said...

good to see you at your best. frame this picture!