Friday, April 04, 2008

The kingdom of God is like a coffeeshop...

I’m sitting at Square one Coffee on Duke Street in the city. I’m enjoying the smell of coffee, the air of anticipation as people are moving in and out, and the continual mind games of guessing where people are coming from, where their going and what they are generally about.

This little coffee shop carries a lot of meaning for me. Before Pearl and I moved to Lancaster almost 3 years ago I did a 3-month summer internship in this area. I knew a grand totally of 1.5 people coming up here. I say 1.5 cause I knew one person from school and the .5 was “friendship” a weird sorta-kind-of knowing way.

But that summer was one of the key transforming periods of my life. It exposed me to a different way of living, to a biblical worldview that was expressed differently then the worldview I grew up with, to city life, and it provided me enough loneliness to actually slowdown a little and reflect on life. And that is way this little coffee shop means so much to me.

It was here that I spent many of those lonely nights sitting, reflecting, pondering.

It was here that I observed different lifestyles

It was here that I debriefed with my friend what I was processing.

This place has provided the safety, yet inspiration for me to question, to wrestle.

So in a sense this coffee shop with it’s odd arrangement of artwork, exposed brick from decades ago, smells of delightful drinks and goodies, conversations happening around little round tables between people from all different walks of life reminds me a little of heaven.

You could say that the kingdom of God is like a local coffee shop, where all the colors and expressions of local life come together to enjoy and enrich each other, putting their personal differences aside for the united experience of enjoying the moment.

One day, followers of the way of Jesus will gather together in a local coffee shop in the kingdom of God, and share stories.