Thursday, December 13, 2007

I judge you.

I judge people. Really I do. I mean I don’t start off trying to size people up or rank them, but somehow or another I can slip into this mindset of calling their shots as good or bad, smart or stupid, wise or way immature. I don’t mean to do this, but it’s kind of like when saying good bye to someone and you get into that annoying back and forth game of goodbye, blah blah blah, goodbye, blah blah blah, goodbye, and you take 10 more minutes to actually leave; know what I mean, does anyone else do that? Well judging for me is often like that. I hate doing the “goodbye dance” but there are times I get sucked in, and judging is the same way.

Here’s why all these thoughts are happening. The other day Pearl and I needed to go help someone and I didn’t want to. The person didn’t need us to give an organ or anything; they just needed a ride, A RIDE, nothing big, just a ride from the airport. We had nothing keeping us from doing it, our schedules where free, all it would have cost me was not getting to sit my sorry butt on my comfy coach and watching mind numbing TV, but if I came up with one excuse I had 40, and my excuses where so good that they actually put blame on who should be doing this instead of me. I felt good about my debating skills, I had the case won, I knew my wife would have to fold under the insurmountable weight of my argument, but she didn’t fold; she just pulled my plug, she deflated everything I said in one little sentence, “Matt, stop judging them, you don’t know all the details and this is not right.” (Enter sound of a gavel slamming down)

She was right

I tried to deny it

But she was

I was caught red handed, I was guilty…

I had passed up an opportunity to bless someone, to love someone, to help someone out and instead had decided put myself first, to make more of me then them, to judge someone and in the process make myself look like a total a*# at the same time.

May I learn a lesson from “the Pearl” and hold my comments, suspend my judgment, and put others first, even if I don’t understand the big picture.

God, thank you for my wife and her ability to swing a big gavel of truth

PS – it’s rain/ice/snow ING outside, have I said lately that I LOVE the snow!

3 comments:

Sean McDermott said...

Matt,

Thanks for sharing. It takes a lot to share about our failures and short falls. I am glad I don't have any! ;)

I too fall into the trap of judging people. Heck, I judged a girl in high school who turned out to be my wife!

I will pray that God continues to break our hearts for the things we don't know...

Renae Tolbert said...

Hello, you don't know me, but I was so very touched by your post on Brad's Big Bad Brisbane Blog. I hope you don't mind my letting you know that Brad went to be with Jesus on Thursday, Dec. 13th. If you want to, go to: http://www.naznet.com/community/forum.php
In Him,
Renae

Anonymous said...

Matt,
knowing your faults is why God made wives ;) J/K I think we can all relate to what you said, thanks for sharing!